Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Please remind any hedge fund manager you know that they contribute absolutely zero to the prosperity of our economy, innovation and job growth. I cannot wait to hear stories of hedge fund managers jumping out of windows with the squeeze I think we could get. I hope someday that LP’s realize that most hedge funds mainly contribute to destruction. What would happen if 100’s of billions of dollars started getting allocated back into venture capital? Who knows maybe job creation, innovation, IPO’s?
Yes I am angry and hope venture capital thrives forever as the financial vehicle to growth in the economy. Hedge funds deserve some hard times like our “.com crash” and should become the worst performing asset class for the next 10 years!!!
Friday, October 03, 2008
• The natural progression of business: Innovators, Imitators and Idiots
• Derivatives were national weapon of mass destruction.
• Cash isn’t king if it just sits there. This is a time when cash buys a lot more and a time to accumulate cash.
• Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.
• In my adult lifetime I have not seen people as fearful as they are economically as they are right now.
• 8% of money market funds in the U.S. have been moved in the last 2 weeks to new institutions. 10s of billions of dollars which is incredible.
• We have a terrific economy that is like a great athlete that has just had a cardiac arrest and needs to be resuscitated. Don’t argue about inches where to shock should be applied.
• There is one institution in the world that can leverage up when big businesses are leveraging down. That is the U.S. government.
• Politicians pointing the finger at an executive that walked away with a golden parachute of a failed company and assigning blame is wrong. It’s a waste of time and we need to move forward.
• The U.S. government can borrow at 1% and buy assets that are yielding 15%. The government is going to make a lot of money and I’d like to have 1% of the $700B deal. I just don’t have $700B dollars or I’d take the deal.
• AIG would be fine today if they’d never heard of the word derivatives.
• Derivatives are a national weapon of mass destruction
• Leverage is the only way a smart guy can go broke
• The government might be buying $2 Trillion worth of real estate for $700B.
• We have a 7 for 1 improvement in the last century
• The private sector tried to save AIG but the problem was too big. The Feds structured the deal very very well
• I'd be much more interested to hear a debate between the next 2 Treasury Secretaries candidates, than the VP candidates.
This chart alone should tell you how much impact the Federal Reserve has on the overall economy. The Fed can obviously influence banker...
A stealth internet advertising / publishing renaissance is quietly happening in Southern California 10 years after the dot com bubble ...
Angel investing in startups is probably the most challenging form of private equity there is. Having been involved with the Tech Coast Ang...
This is a story of my first channel crossing on a paddleboard in the Catalina Classic race Sunday, August, 29 2010. 32 miles of open oc...
Google Removes Its 'Last-Look' Auction Advantage. The "last-look" advantage Google’s ad server gave to Google's a...
Why are Australia and New Zealand bound flights taking off to the East at LAX between 10pm-12am and sometimes later? Loud low flying plane...
The Western Conference NHL has clearly been beating up on the Eastern Conference in the first 22 games of the season.
Map of Google search terms on election day: Long wait times, provisional ballots, inactive voter status, voter intimidation, voting machin...
Link to Map
A Baseball Diamond On The Beach in Santa Barbara? Wow!